configuring phpmyadmin: why no table mysql.host for mysql56?

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Sat Feb 14 12:59:02 PST 2015

> On Feb 14, 2015, at 12:20 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Would it be better instead to change things at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PHP so that the code for mysql_phpMyAdmin_pmaSetup.sql omits any reference to mysql.host but a note explains what to add in case you're using an older version of mysql?
>
>> On 14 Feb2015, at 12:09 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> OK, I recall that now. Thanks.
>>
>> I added a note about this to https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PHP.
>>
>>> On 14 Feb2015, at 12:17 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This gives:  ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
>>>
>>> And indeed, that table does not exist. (I see this by executing mysql commands "use mysql;" and then "show tables;" ; I see the same thing by looking at database mysql in phpmyadmin)
>>>
>>> Why not? Should it not have been created when I originally installed mysql56-server and executed mysql_install_db ?
>>>
>>> You are using obsolete instructions, it appears; the host table was deprecated in 5.6.3 and removed from the default schema in 5.6.7.
>>>
>>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/grant-table-structure.html

PLEASE! -- JUST DO IT!! -- It is a Wiki after all.

I updated those instructions a short time ago because I was trying to install the MAMP trio, and the existent page was horribly out of date and all 3 were merged into one page.

I am no expert in any of the three, but nobody else seemed to be stepping forward to do the updating, so my changes have become gospel. Many of those changes were simply formatting changes and version numbers, not really content. Especially where the content was about something with which I had no experience.

Did I try them out -- yes, sort of -- "it worked for me." --- or rather "something worked for me!" -- Was what "worked" correct?  I have no idea. The particular situation I was in has been working up to the point where I got side-tracked. I was planning on adding in MediaWiki and writing a installation page for that, but one thing has lead to another, and I simply have not gotten around to continuing what I was doing.

So, yes, please feel free to update that page so that it reflects your experience. That's what a WIKI is all about. When someone finds something that needs revising, they go ahead and do it.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.2
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.2

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com