What to checksum when submitting an update?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 08:48:38 PST 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Tom Limoncelli <tal at whatexit.org> wrote:

> However it isn't clear to me how to update the checksums.  I know the
> commands (openssl dgst -sha256 / openssl dgst -rmd160) but what file
> gets checksummed?  This package is on github.
>
> By looking at the error messages, it seems that the checksums is of the
> file at
>
> http://packages.macports.org/vcs_blackbox/vcs_blackbox-$VERSION.darwin_*.noarch.tbz2
>

> but until the file is there, how do I know I can generate the exact same
> file?
>
> Are the checksums updated for me or am I going about this the wrong way?

github produces stable tarballs on the fly; `port -v checksum` will
retrieve it and output the appropriate checksum commands. There's some
documentation for this in the source for the github portgroup (by
default /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/_resources/port1.0/group/github-1.0.tcl
).