A question about Localhost with Safari

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Jan 4 16:08:54 PST 2015

On Jan 4, 2015, at 13:23 , René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Sunday January 04 2015 13:10:30 Justin C. Walker wrote:
>
>>> I have no trouble ssh-ing to localhost on my system, but Safari always responds  "Can't connect to the Server."
>>
>> FWIW, i get this on my 10.6.8 system, which is more or less "stock".
>>
>> Also, 'localhost' is defined in my /etc/hosts, as it came from the factory (with two IPv6 addresses and the usual IPv4 address).
>
> TWO IPv6 addresses? Could you paste the relevant lines here?

::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0     localhost

(as Brandon mentioned).

> Also, does your issue go away when you outcomment the IPv6 entries?

It appears not.  I quit Safari, made the edits, and restarted Safari, which exhibited the same behavior as above.  It is possible, as suggested earlier, that the hosts file is queried only at startup, but I don't think that's the case (and in any case, I did not reboot :-}).

To answer another question from earlier in the thread, I believe the "database" used by Mac OS X during the early years was a hold-over from NeXT days (netinfo?).  I think it was essentially gone by the time 10.6 was released.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker