A question about Localhost with Safari

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Jan 6 21:39:55 PST 2015

Formerly Netinfo as I recall, now the local component of Open Directory / directory services.  Database files are in /var/db/dslocal and are binary plists, except for an sqlite3 index file and a couple of files associated with it.  _Looking_ at those directly (I wouldn’t modify anything directly without a backup!!  Either GUI or the dscl command should be used to make changes) is reasonably straightforward, knowing their formats - just leave those alone those two files that “file” identifies only as “data”.

/etc/hosts and NIS can be enabled (typically together, as I recall).  Mixing master/slave NIS server is NOT compatible with Sun’s NIS (protocol differences?  certainly different underlying data storage limitations, i.e. old dbm vs gdbm or db or whatever); but _clients_ need not be same OS as servers.