scope of "local" PortGroup definition files

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 08:36:10 PST 2015

On Friday January 09 2015 07:28:43 Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> Is your local tree in sources.conf?
> grep -v -E "(^ *#|^$)" /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf

Yes. It's my understanding that is required if you want it to be taken into account ...

> If you used svn instead of rsync port sync you would not experience this overwrite issue.

Until a change to the file in question was pushed, at which time you'd probably get a conflict error?

> `port sync` updates all sources that aren't marked "nosync" in sources.conf.

The comments in sources.conf
> #  To prevent a source from synchronizing when `port sync` is used,
> #  append [nosync] at the end as shown in this example:
> #  Example: file:///Users/landonf/misc/MacPorts/ports [nosync]
suggest that a local repo will also be synced if not marked that way, but from what/where?

So, should I change my current

file:///opt/local/site-ports
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]

into

file:///opt/local/site-ports [default] [nosync]
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/

or will that prevent me from getting updates at all?

R.