/opt/local/macports/software

Akim Demaille akim at lrde.epita.fr
Mon Jan 19 01:59:19 PST 2015

> Le 19 janv. 2015 à 10:54, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> a écrit :
>> So maybe we could reconsider the existence of this feature, or at least,
>> the fact that its mandatory.
>
> If I remember correctly, the code for the old way with hard links was removed from MacPorts. There is no way to go back to that method, without rewriting the code.

You're talking implementation details, I'm talking feature.  And the
implementation is straightforward: rm -f /opt/local/macports/software/<PORT>
when <PORT> was activated.

>> Well, apt-get and the rest have no such equivalent.  They just deploy
>> the software, period.  They don't keep a copy at hand, just in case.
>> And yes, there's no acivate/deactivate (that I know of).
>
> If your installed files have become damaged, for example because a third-party installer overwrote them, it's very nice to be able to fix it by simply deactivating and re-activating the port.

Yes, I'm sure it's nice.  I'm not saying the feature is useless, I'm
saying I don't want to use it.

> apt-get is not typically used on OS X, which is the platform where concerns regarding Spotlight and Time Machine occur. It would be more interesting to compare against the other OS X package managers, Homebrew or Fink.

I don't see how the OS is relevant in anyway here.