/opt/local/macports/software

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jan 19 11:35:19 PST 2015

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 10:49 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday January 19 2015 09:34:51 Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> being able to let TimeMachine back up my macports $prefix is nice, I wouldn't want to not be able to do that because of a macports design decision.
>
> Of course - but all of it? I exclude a good part of $prefix/var/macports, because it's too big and so much of it can be regenerated/redownloaded.

personally, I have had to restore machines in places where connectivity was problematic before - and I size things so I have more than enough backup capacity to just back up everything and save myself the potential headaches (lessons learned over time). Your needs may be different.

>> man port says:
>>
>> -u       uninstall non-active ports when upgrading and uninstalling
>
> Yup. Can it be made the default (like -c can)?

not that I know of.

I actually prefer doing `port upgrade outdated` make sure things are working as I expect (and if not, quickly revert back with deactivate/activate) and then `port uninstall inactive`

activate/deactivate is a /really nice/ feature that MacPorts offers.

>>> - the place where such large things are stored, which are required only when doing port maintenance or development.
>>
>> you can set portdbpath in macports.conf (which would move some other stuff too).
>
> Good to know; it's not a name I'd be looking for!
>
>>> Similarly, is there a way to disable the storing of the source files in
>>> …/distfiles?
>>
>> No [...]
>
> Are there side-effects to cleaning out that directory manually, other than re-downloading when needed?

distfiles are fine to remove, as far as I know.
--
Daniel J. Luke