/opt/local/macports/software

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:00:38 PST 2015

I agree with *both* Daniel and René.

On 20/01/2015, at 7:08 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday January 19 2015 14:35:19 Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> I actually prefer doing `port upgrade outdated` make sure things are working as I expect (and if not, quickly revert back with deactivate/activate) and then `port uninstall inactive`
>>
>> activate/deactivate is a /really nice/ feature that MacPorts offers.

The ability to revert if you get a dud version from upstream is great.  It is
also good for checking details of "before" and "after" when an upstream
bug is claimed to have been fixed… ;-)

> Me too, though I wouldn't mind an automatic option that leaves say
> the 2 latest inactive versions, except for ports on an exclusion list.

N inactive versions can be simplistic if there have been MacPorts-based
revisons (i.e. the trailing number "_n" has changed).

I think one needs to keep the last version that came from upstream (i.e. the
last "point" version), e.g. keep 4.13.3_1, 4.14.4_0, 4.14.4_1 (active), but
drop 4.13.3_0 and earlier versions.

> Dream on :)

Actually I was planning to implement something like that in my Fossick
GUI app for MacPorts, which has lain around unloved for a while, but
I suppose a script that does it would be not too difficult.

Cheers, Ian W.