CarbonHeaders obsolete: uninstall dependencies

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 18:29:33 PST 2015

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 17:22, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 19, 2015, at 5:47 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I somehow missed this obsolescence...
>> Why exactly have the CarbonHeaders gone obsolete
>
> Because ports should be using the headers provided by the host.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42500#comment:6
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46521#comment:4
>
>> what does removal mean for code that includes AvailabilityMacros.h? I've made a number of patches to KDE4 that rely on that header, and KDE uses Carbon itself.
>
> I might be mistaken, but you should probably be using the system's Kernel framework header instead of AvailabilityMacros.h directly.

On Tiger and later, you should use AvailabilityMacros.h as provided by the SDK.

On Leopard and later, you should use Availability.h as provided by the SDK, but note that AvailabilityInternal.h has a bad macro on Leopard (http://trac.macports.org/wiki/LeopardSDKFixes#Incorrect__MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED), so if you rely on that, you may want to detect it and point users to the wiki.

--Jeremy