/opt/local/macports/software

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 18:37:44 PST 2015

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Jan 19, 2015, at 6:34 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What could be an option:
>> - use xz instead of bzip2 to compact things a bit more
>
> this would probably be a small change (I think there's support for gzip and zip already) - but changing your local archive type means you won't get binary archives.

This was true in the past, but no longer. Setting portarchivetype only
affects the type of archives that are generated when building locally.
Each archive site now has an associated archive type, which happens to
be tbz2 for packages.macports.org and its mirrors.

We do support building txz archives already, and they can happily
coexist with downloaded tbz2 ones. The catch is that you have to have
the xz port installed to install or activate any txz archives. So the
default is not going to change unless/until Apple starts shipping xz
with OS X.

- Josh