/opt/local/macports/software

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 18:49:43 PST 2015

At 8:20 PM +0000 1/19/15, Chris Jones wrote:
>  > On 19 Jan 2015, at 7:13 pm, Craig Treleaven
><ctreleaven at macports.org> wrote:
>  > At 3:11 PM +0000 1/19/15, Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>>  Does anyone else find it bizarre that, in 2015, we've got such an
>>active thread about saving a few gigs of space?
>
>Nope. Saving disk space when not required is always a good idea.

If I buy a sub-compact car, I can hardly complain that my skiis won't
fit inside.  I truly understand cost constraints and tradeoffs.
However, if a compressed archive of MacPorts-installed packages is
the tipping point for your system...I'd say you're running far too
close to the edge.

>  > If one has a too-small SSD, it seems more-than-a-little strange
>to complain that building/installing a bunch of software packages
>consumes it.  Get a bigger drive.  Or smaller expectations.
>
>And how pray does one do that in a Mac Book with non-upgradable
>Solid state storage...

Upgrade:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC

Or the time-honoured fashion in the Apple world...trade up.

Craig