/opt/local/macports/software

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 20 01:42:23 PST 2015

Hi,

On 20/01/15 02:49, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 8:20 PM +0000 1/19/15, Chris Jones wrote:
>>  > On 19 Jan 2015, at 7:13 pm, Craig Treleaven
>> <ctreleaven at macports.org> wrote:
>>  > At 3:11 PM +0000 1/19/15, Chris Jones wrote:
>>>
>>>  Does anyone else find it bizarre that, in 2015, we've got such an
>>> active thread about saving a few gigs of space?
>>
>> Nope. Saving disk space when not required is always a good idea.
>
> If I buy a sub-compact car, I can hardly complain that my skiis won't
> fit inside.I truly understand cost constraints and tradeoffs. However,
> if a compressed archive of MacPorts-installed packages is the tipping
> point for your system...I'd say you're running far too close to the edge.

Its not a matter of being close to the edge. If you have a system with
say a SSD 128 GB drive, I do not think it is then unreasonable for that
user to ask why they have to lug around GBs of archives which, unless
you regular use the activate/deactivate feature (and I still suspect the
majority of users do not) is of rather limited benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I also do understand why MP does this. I am just say
IMO its a reasonable question to ask.

>>  > If one has a too-small SSD, it seems more-than-a-little strange to
>> complain that building/installing a bunch of software packages
>> consumes it.  Get a bigger drive.  Or smaller expectations.
>>
>> And how pray does one do that in a Mac Book with non-upgradable Solid
>> state storage...
>
> Upgrade:
>
> http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC

Great, for those in the US .. Plus I don't think upgrading is available
for all Macs with built in SSDs (might be wrong there, but I think so).

> Or the time-honoured fashion in the Apple world...trade up.

I am not sure the 'spend you way out' is the right answer here.

Chris