/opt/local/macports/software

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 16:24:31 PST 2015

On Tuesday January 20 2015 17:42:27 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

Why in fact deactivate and then activate anew? Isn't an untar of the appropriate tarball enough?

> Granted, in the case that the user has installed such a third-party installer, I actually recommend they completely uninstall MacPorts and all ports, then reinstall MacPorts and the desired ports, to be sure that no additional unwanted files are in /opt/local.

Something related came up in another discussion I had today, which raised the question how hard it would be to write a walker that 1) identifies stray and/or trespassing files and 2) compares files with the copy in the software archive. Point 2) could actually be done by simply reactivating each port if there's no need to identify modified files. Point 1) is probably harder and certainly more resource intensive than it sounds, but it should beat a complete reinstall by more than a few lengths ...

R.