OT probably, help please

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Tue Jan 20 22:38:22 PST 2015

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 10:28 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>
> G’day
> The other day I reported that gnuplot had suddenly stopped working with term x11 but worked with term aqua.
> Maybe it was just slow !
> I have an issue where the system has (suddenly) become very slow …
>
> iMac 27 top:cpu free 99 ish %
> system-monitor also shows cpu cores at 0% busy
> men free 8G
> df 50 ish %
> yosemite
>
> change mail from one entry to another: wheel turns for 10-20 seconds then all is normal including change topic (repeat previous selection).
> firefox:youtube watch a clip, midway stops playing and wheel turns for 5-10 seconds before resuming
>
> Thinking this may be a DNS issue I ran wireshark. wiresharks stops while wheel is turning!
>
> system-monitor shows no (just got the wheel for 5 secs, no response to usb-keyboard nothing interesting on system-monitor) sys-monitor (pause again!) ticks every 5 secs even during wheel turning.
>
> This seems unrelated to macports. Time machine is on an external USB disk and scheduled to run now (another pause checks:TM disk definitly NOT busy)
>
> So before I nuke this install, any ideas gratefully acceped
> James

Sounds like issues with Anti-malware virus programs.
The ones that insert themselves into your tcp/ip data stream to examine all of your traffic so that you don't' download "bad stuff."

I had to shut off thtat processing in Sophos because it had gotten so bad (i.e. taking FOREVER to load any program that talked to the internet.)

That was a "sudden" change in how Sophos was working. At first I thought it was  simply because I had turned on the iCloud drive (which does impact things).
But after a lot of trial and no-luck turned off the option in Sophos.

Long ago I had tried Avast! and discovered that it's anti-malware was simply horrible in what it did to a Mac.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.1
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.1 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com