OT probably, help please

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:37:07 PST 2015

On Friday January 23 2015 08:56:31 James Linder wrote:

> smartctl -a gives zillions of errors eg

>   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   081   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       147598082
> 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   038   025   000    Old_age   Always       -       183829319

A zillion is a bit over the top: I see only these 2 indicators that catch attention, but without knowing the disk model it's hard to interpret the data. port:gsmartcontrol can help with that, btw.

Bad sectors aren't necessarily detected and recorded on the fly, though. I always forget if the get stored (and remapped) during the 1st extensive self-test after a full disk write or if it's the other way round (last time I had to cope with one was about 10y ago) but in your case a full rewrite may not be required as long as the disk doesn't spin down after the last error and the self test.

Good luck,
R.