Using Xcode toolchain internals (Was: apple clang vs macports clang performance)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:57:44 PST 2015

On Wednesday January 28 2015 18:27:35 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> The libraries in XcodeDefault.xctoolchain aren't even versioned.

There's no need for that since only a single version is present at any given time.

I never meant to argue that using a shared library inside Xcode would be a good idea, if not only because Xcode is supposed to be movable.

Then again one would have similar constraints using a libclang from MacPorts. It's stored in a directory containing the llvm version (the dylib itself isn't versioned either), so when you change the llvm version you're obliged to rebuild your client even if the ABI doesn't change.

>     % ls /usr/lib/libclang*
>     zsh: no matches found: /usr/lib/libclang*
>
> Are you sure your library is from the CLT? What does `pkgutil --file-info` say about it?

I didn't say they exported everything from /Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/lib to /usr/lib. I remember wondering if I should have said "their /usr/lib". It's late here.