GCC and kernel.osversion

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 17:53:59 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> > On 10.10?
> > You have an ancient Xcode installed and you are lucky it only spit out a
> > complaint about kern.osversion instead of crashing.
> > Do not bet on it being usable or stable. Get rid of it.
>
> I updated Xcode to 6.4 a couple of weeks ago; I always stay current.

You have stuff under /Developer, though. Xcode hasn't used /Developer since
4.0.1 came out, and /Developer should be removed with the command I
mentioned; otherwise you can run into odd problems as things find the old
Xcode and use it.

(You may have to reinstall the Command LIne Tools afterward, since it
sounds like something has pointed cc at the ancient Xcode under /Developer.)

To make "cc" refer to the MacPorts gcc:
    port select --set gcc mp-gcc47   (or whatever version you installed;
try "port select --list gcc").
    hash -r                                        (this tells the shell to
look for "cc" again instead of using a cached location)