Can you install GCC 5.2 at the same time as GCC 4.8 (or 4.9)?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 26 10:19:36 PDT 2015

On Jul 26, 2015, at 11:49, David Barto wrote:

> I’d like to test 5.2, and I don’t want to un-install 4.8.4 because it works with our current code base. I know that 4.9.0 had problems with our code and so I might want to re-try that with the latest version.
>
> My major question is in the subject: Can I install both at the same time? I know that some of the libs required for one version might destroy/overwrite versions for the other.
>
> Anyone know? I’ve looked through the past 5 months of the mailing list archive and didn’t see this sort of question come up.

There is no problem installing multiple MacPorts versions of gcc simultaneously. They're designed to be used that way. (That's true in general when you see multiple MacPorts ports for a single software package, just with different version number suffixes.)

In MacPorts, all stable gcc versions use the same gcc libraries: the ones from the latest stable version. So your gcc49 installation is already using the gcc 5.2 libraries (provided by the libgcc port); this is intentional and as far as we know works fine.