Upgrades that include netpbm

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 12 13:57:56 PDT 2015

On Jun 12, 2015, at 10:21 AM, Barrie Stott wrote:

> Whenever I perform such an 'upgrade outdated', a message is displayed when trying to configure netpbm saying that I should force a deactivation of netpbm and then the upgrade stops. Normally I deactivate netpbm, upgrade netpbm and upgrade outdated.
>
> Is there any reason why I cannot force deactivate netpbm before starting the 'upgrade aoutdated' in the first place?

I'm the maintainer of netpbm. Yes, if "port outdated" shows that netpbm is outdated, running "sudo port -f deactivate netpbm" before running "sudo port upgrade outdated" is fine; it's what I do, if I remember to do so.

For ports that have build conflicts with other ports (like netpbm which has a build conflict with itself), we leave deactivating the conflicting port to you, rather than doing it automatically, because it means that ports that use the conflicting port will be broken until you reactivate it. But if you're about to upgrade your ports anyway, you're probably ok with that, and the problem will be fixed by the time the upgrades are done.