[MacPorts] #47755: Broken symlink left by select code when selected port is deactivated causes poppler and other ports using aclocal to fail during configuration.

Christopher David Ramos m74z00219 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:30:20 PDT 2015

Hiya larryv,

> I don't think you understand what Git is.
>
> Git is not a "platform" by any reasonable definition of the word. It's
> a version control system: a tool that allows content creators (usually
> software developers) to organize and distribute their work (usually
> source code). Git has nothing to do with compiling or installing; as
> Ryan already said, a project's choice of version control does not affect
> how it builds and works (Git submodules and such notwithstanding).
> A project that interferes with MacPorts will do so whether you retrieve
> it with Git or Mercurial or Subversion or curl or wget or Safari or lynx
> or floppy disk.

Sorry, my understanding of the relevant vernacular is far from perfect.
I do understand, however, that git is about version control of, usually,
source code. That said, if building the source code of any given git
project leads to conflicts with Macports, doesn't that constitute an
undesirable conflict? Not just for end-users but for the Macports
project leaders. Still, I think the Macports version of git should have
some mechanism, or some warning -- something -- to warn or prevent
conflicts between Macports and git projects.

Maybe you are saying that one should not use git if one does not know
where downloaded projects will install files upon compilation (I think
the instructions are in makefiles). Fine, fair enough. My counter is
that the average Macports user -- myself included -- is not aware of the
intricacies of what Macports does behind the scenes. Macports is
designed to prevent conflicts between active ports and, if necessary,
disallow installation of ports that would conflict with active ports.

> This would not be warranted. We might as well add such warnings to any
> port that allows you to download a file or compile a binary.

Most ports, I think, are the end-product -- compilation carefully
directed by Macports -- and do not download further files (emacs, pip,
etc not withstanding). This, however, is not the case with git, which
knows nothing about how Macports does things.

Sincerely,

--
Chris David Ramos
GS/P d- s+: a C U* W++ M+ PS++ PE PGP++ t+ !tv b+ G e+++>++++ r