[MacPorts] #47755: Broken symlink left by select code when selected port is deactivated causes poppler and other ports using aclocal to fail during configuration.

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Jun 23 14:09:51 PDT 2015

On Tue, June 23, 2015 16:53, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Christopher David Ramos <
> m74z00219 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Still, I think the Macports version of git should have
>> some mechanism, or some warning -- something -- to warn or prevent
>> conflicts between Macports and git projects.
>>

> Umm, AI much?
>

> Basically you seem to be asking for something that can magically analyze
> random source code and determine that it will conflict. This is not as
> simple as you seem to think it is; in fact it's a very unsolved problem.

Even MacPorts doens't know which of its ports will cause a conflict; it
relies solely on the package maintainers to manually declare them as much.

If only we tracked what each package installed: we could find all
conflicts before they happen, and we could tell people what packages to
install for a given binary!