[MacPorts] #47189: submission: audacity

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 11:13:24 PDT 2015

> On 18 Mar 2015, at 5:52pm, Arno Hautala <arno at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday March 18 2015 12:10:07 Arno Hautala wrote:
>>
>> So, no, there should be no fear of non-reproducible builds, at least not if I got in all the dependencies :)
>>
>>> Regardless, I'd think the configure would still need to be set up to
>>> only use the internal or MacPorts versions.
>>
>> Which is what it does.
>
> Cool. I wonder if there's still an issue of sometimes using internal
> versions and sometimes using MacPorts, but as the internal versions
> aren't available yet, it seems like a minor issue if any. My internal
> pedant would want the configure to explicitly use the internal
> versions and explicitly select the available MacPorts versions, but
> the pedant must be crushed.

No, I would agree with you. Even if no ports for the various used ‘local’ components exist, for future protection the audacity port should be configured to *always* use its internal versions, regardless of what might or might not be available via macports (or worse elsewhere). That way the builds remain predictable. If at some point ports for one or other of these internal components become available, then the audacity port can be, if desired, updated to depend upon and use that port. Everything remains deterministic, which is how it should be.

Chris