mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Sat Mar 21 08:12:04 PDT 2015

On 21.03.2015 02:30 AM, Gary Fitts wrote:
> Installed MacPorts for the first time, then installed apache2. When I run sudo port load apache2, an httpd process starts up, and even responds to requests (to http://localhost) if I get them in fast enough. But then the process exits (whether or not it received any requests). The error log shows this:
>
> [Fri Mar 20 11:40:41 2015] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]
> [Fri Mar 20 11:40:46 2015] [alert] (EAI 8)nodename nor servname provided, or not known: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of "iMac.local"
> Configuration Failed
>
> I’ve searched the archives of this list and I see several references to similar problems, but no resolutions. Any help would be appreciated!

The easiest way of fixing this is to add your hostname (iMac.local) to
the 127.0.0.1 and ::1 entries in /etc/hosts, like this:

sudo -e /etc/hosts

change to:
"127.0.0.1    localhost iMac.local"
"::1    localhost iMac.local"

I don't know why the stateless autoconfiguration stuff fails in your
case and I can't test it either, because my hostname is resolvable
within my system by my own (internal and external) name server.

Mihai