about Qt 5.x and OS X 10.6

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 10:13:34 PDT 2015

On Saturday March 21 2015 12:08:03 Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Just one data point, but the next version of
> MythTV (0.28) is going to require Qt 5.2 at a
> minimum.  Their reasoning:

Well, there is already a Qt 5 in MacPorts. Except that until now installing it conflicts with port:qt4-mac ...

> So I think if we can support Qt 5.3 on OS X 10.6,
> that would be ideal.  Of course it still remains

The current port:qt5-mac is Qt 5.3.2 . The fact it doesn't co-install with Qt 4 is just one of its issues, but it *should* build on 10.6 .
I solved the co-installability issue, then migrated the port to 5.4.x and resolved other issues as I ran into them. I'm now looking into backport that to Qt 5.3.2, as said ideally with if/else constructs in a unique Portfile. That's proving to be more of a challenge than I thought and I haven't yet managed to put the finger on the difference that causes my build to fail. I've been breaking out the directory-diff tools in what's a nice stress-test of those very tools (given the size of a Qt source tree ...)

> OTOH, Core2 Duo macs can run OS X 10.7 so the
> door is open for them to support Qt 5.4, I
> suppose.

AFAIAC the argument is not just whether a system can run a newer OS version. It's been only a few months now that I'm running 10.9; until mid december 2014 I was under 10.6.8 simply because 1) it worked just fine and fast 2) I had no reason to upgrade and 3) I had a good reason not to: Rosetta and a couple of licenses for PPC versions of Adobe software I'm not going to renew as long as I have a way to keep running the versions I already "own".

R.