what was up with ntp again?

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Mon Mar 23 10:46:55 PDT 2015

On 23.03.2015 05:51 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Mihai Moldovan <ionic at ionic.de
> <mailto:ionic at ionic.de>> wrote:
>
>     <rant>Pretty good, if they use my favorite time keeping daemon
>     chrony.</rant>
>

> ...and your port for it is pending? :p
> (Seriously, I've been using full ntpd because pacemaker isn't quite
> enough for my constantly changing circumstances, but I can tell it
> slows things down a bit and it appears to be complicating or at least
> fragmenting memory somewhat. An alternative would be nice.)

chrony requires access to the RTC device. Unfortunately, OS X doesn't
even provide a /dev/rtc node. I've never looked into porting it for OS X
due to that problem. There likely is some XNU interface to the whole RTC
stuff, but I never felt motivated enough for rewriting chrony to use
that -- if it's even possible.

I have been using chrony on an embedded machine without a real RTC
device and that worked. But naturally, without being able to change the
drift, it won't do you much good.

Mihai