what was up with ntp again?

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Mar 23 20:21:16 PDT 2015

On 23 Mar 2015, at 14:36, Mihai Moldovan wrote:

> On 23.03.2015 07:27 PM, Christopher Jones wrote:
>>> On 23 Mar 2015, at 6:24pm, Mihai Moldovan <ionic at macports.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> You likely rebooted yesterday or the like.
>>>
>>> I haven't done so on a while, obviously…
>>
>> yes, I did reboot around then yesterday. Perhaps I mis understood
>> [Brandon]’s mail though but that seemed to suggest even a reboot
>> wouldn’t update it. But if it does then fine, (non)mystery
>> solved…
>
> That's just a misunderstanding. The file is created/updated once
> whenever Apple's ntpd starts, but never touched again afterwards
> (until
> the next time Apple's ntpd is started.)
>
> It's not a "once in a lifetime" deal.
>
> So, his explanation fits beautifully.

I have a feeling that this has changed recently, perhaps as part of
Apple's NTP security update. [1]  On two of my machines, both running
stock Apple code in this regard, /var/db/ntp.drift is changed between
boots (it changed while I was looking at it just now on one machine).
Also pacemaker is not running on either machine (it's disabled in
launchctl).  I don't know why my machines are different than yours, but
it's not because of anything I intentionally changed.  I see that ntpd
on these machines is version 92.10.1 which is even later than in that
security update.  This was apparently part of 10.10.2.  On one of the
machines I looked at /usr/libexec/pacemaker was last accessed on Feb. 17
even though the machine was booted several times since then.

                Mike

[1] <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204425>