XQuartz on 10.6 (in a VM)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:44:30 PDT 2015

Hello,

I've got a 10.6 VM which is more or less a clone of my 10.6.8 system of about 18 months ago. I'm pretty sure that it used to run my X11 environment, and the same host (Parallels Desktop 10) also runs X11 applications just fine when I boot it into OS X 10.9 .

Not so (anymore) with 10.6.8 though. There appears to be some communications glitch in the Xt toolkit, which causes X applications built against the X11 libraries in MacPorts to fail with "Xt toolkit error: can't connect to display :0.0".

I have XQuartz 2.7.4 installed, because for some (related?) reason the 2.7.7 installer remains stuck on "Install for all users on this system" with the proceed button greyed out. However, the latest port:xorg-server from MacPorts shows the exact same behaviour (the Xt error, not the installer issue :)).

Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanks,
René