libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 03:49:20 PDT 2015

On Wednesday May 20 2015 12:11:08 Clemens Lang wrote:

How do libjpeg-turbo and mozjpeg compare except in the latter's features to create slightly smaller files (at what computing cost)?

>I guess having the choice between mozjpeg and libjpeg-turbo would be
>possible using the path dependency then. In theory, we could also downgrade

That would still require all ports to use this kind of dependency. If both alternatives are really interchangeable, I'd rather see them as variants of a master port, e.g. port:jpeg with +turbo being the default variant and +moz (or +mozjpeg) being an alternative variant. That would provide users with choice without imposing an unnecessary change on port maintainers.
With (at least) Debian and Ubuntu this is handled by the jpeg-turbo packages indicating that they replace (are alternatives to) the standard libjpeg versions; sadly MacPorts doesn't have a similar feature. I've already raised this idea a while ago, but cannot remember how it was received...

R.