libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed May 20 07:43:10 PDT 2015

On 20.05.2015 02:39 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2015-05-20 12:49, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> That would still require all ports to use this kind of dependency. If
>> both alternatives are really interchangeable, I'd rather see them as
>> variants of a master port, e.g. port:jpeg with +turbo being the
>> default variant and +moz (or +mozjpeg) being an alternative variant.
>> That would provide users with choice without imposing an unnecessary
>> change on port maintainers. With (at least) Debian and Ubuntu this is
>> handled by the jpeg-turbo packages indicating that they replace (are
>> alternatives to) the standard libjpeg versions; sadly MacPorts
>> doesn't have a similar feature. I've already raised this idea a while
>> ago, but cannot remember how it was received...
>
> Variants are not useful for completely different software projects with
> distinct releases and versioning schema. What would you use in the port
> version?

An additional problem is that any port explicitly requiring libjpeg xor
libjpeg-turbo xor mozjpeg would need to use the active_variants PortGroup which
bails out with an error if the requested variant is not active. Users will be
confused by this. It's not by any means automatic.

There is not really any way to specify dependencies on variants, minus that
PortGroup. Do not go there.

Mihai