libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 23 18:04:30 PDT 2015

On May 22, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> Fortunately, libjpeg-turbo 1.4.0 builds fine for PowerPC (under 10.6 Rosetta, at least).
>
> https://trac.macports.org/changeset/136595

I do wish to do at least some basic functionality testing of a libjpeg replacement on Tiger and Leopard. I do not want to be the cause of much of MacPorts ceasing to function properly for users of those systems, if it can be reasonably avoided.

I verified libjpeg-turbo 1.4.0 builds and destroots on real PowerPC Macs running 10.4 and 10.5, but have not yet installed or used it.

I plan to rebuild a port I maintain--graphviz--and all its dependencies to use libjpeg-turbo, then verify that I can create a graph with graphviz that both uses (reads) jpeg input files and produces (writes) a jpeg output file. Then I would probably repeat the test with mozjpeg instead of libjpeg-turbo. If that works, I'll be satisfied to replace jpeg with libjpeg-turbo/mozjpeg.