Problems with kdepim4

Fernando Rodriguez frodriguez.developer at outlook.com
Mon May 25 15:13:16 PDT 2015

On Monday, May 25, 2015 09:35:07 PM René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Do you have a reason not to use kdelibs4 with the +osxkeychain variant which
> makes KWallet use a "native" backend, and you no longer need kwalletd? This
> also ensures that password dialogs always open in front and not behind all
> other windows, and removes timeout glitches in kmail, like when you send an
> email and you don't enter your kwallet password fast enough.

I wasn't aware of that variant, but I just tried it and now I got a reason not
to use it: I don't want to protect my password, I just want kmail to remember
it so I don't have to type it every time. That used to be a feature in kmail
but AFAIK at some point it started relaying on kwallet to remember passwords.
If you don't want to type a password every time the workaround is to set a
kwallet with a blank password. I tried to do the same with the native keychain
and it won't let me. So unless somebody knows how it can be done I have to go
back to kwalletd :(