Backing up MacPorts directories

Steve Holden steve at coordinated.org
Tue May 26 04:11:43 PDT 2015

Hi, folks

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (and Time Machine) to back up my Mac.

Is it recommended to omit any of the directories under
'/opt/local/var/macports' from backups (e.g. 'distfiles', 'sources')?

https://guide.macports.org/#internals.hierarchy

Whilst I'd like a fully-functioning MacPorts installation if I have to boot
from or restore from a backup drive, I wondered whether any of its build
directories could be safely omitted? Would their contents be re-downloaded
or re-built automatically (or could they be manually)?

Apologies if this has been asked before - I've checked the documentation,
the wiki, and searched the mailing list.

Best wishes,

Steve