Cleaning MacPorts from old (unused) ports versions

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:10:55 PDT 2015

Hi all,

As I was following a suggestion to my previous email, I stumbled upon a different issue:
~]$ sudo port uninstall grace
Password:
--->  The following versions of grace are currently installed:
--->      grace @5.1.23_1
--->      grace @5.1.23_2
--->      grace @5.1.23_3
--->      grace @5.1.25_0 (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full version as recorded in the port registry.

So, there were 4 (!) versions of grace installed! That should be remnants of old MacPorts installations. I suppose similar multiple versions must be present for a number of different ports.

My question is: is there a way to hunt and remove those older versions of ports? (preferably, some automatic way to remove them all, from all programs?)

Thanks,
Gustavo Seabra