Opening X applications from terminal.app

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Wed May 27 20:35:39 PDT 2015

> Em 28/05/2015, à(s) 00:26, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> escreveu:
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra at gmail.com> wrote:
> From terminal.app:
> ~]$ xmgrace
> Can't open display
> Failed initializing GUI, exiting
> $ echo $DISPLAY
>                (==> just a blank line)
> ~]$
>
> From XQuartz xterm application:
> ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
> :0
> ~]$ xmgrace
> (opens Grace normally)
>
> Both of those are wrong --- they should both show the launchd socket. Which makes me think one of your shell dotfiles (.profile .bash_profile .bashrc) is doing something with $DISPLAY, possibly in ways that only make sense on e.g. Linux.

I tried removing all those files. I only have .bashrc and .bash_profile, and renamed those to basic and bash_profile, just so they don’t get loaded, but I still get *almost* the same behavior. The only change is that, now, the terminal.app doesn’t load the $PATH correctly, so it can’t even find xmgrace. But if I try xeyes, I get the same behavior:

$ xeyes
Error: Can't open display:

:-(
Gustavo.