yosemite and 2008/9 macbookpro compatability, macports install settings for older architecture?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 28 06:50:57 PDT 2015

On Thursday May 28 2015 09:16:46 ^. .^ wrote:

>i recently upgraded a late 2008 macbookpro to yosemite. with SSD it seems

Does it have a 64bit processor?

><quote>
> Error: Cannot install ImageMagick for the arch(s) 'x86_64' because
> Error: its dependency libtool is only installed for the arch 'i386'
> Error: and the configured universal_archs 'i386 ppc' are not sufficient.
> Error: Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch
></quote>
>

>I found the macports.conf file and uncommented
>build_arch   i386

Apparently MacPorts was configured for 32bit only when you installed it, but somehow ImageMagick wants to be built for 64bit only.
I don't see anything in the Portfile that causes that, so maybe it's ImageMagick itself that enforces that choice.
You'd probably need to file a ticket on trac for that.

>have macports on it last time around so i did not follow the whole list of
>migration commands. but should i?

No.

>Family Early 2009 ID MacBookPro5,2
Apple/About This Mac/"More Information" will give you the correct ID