Experiences with El Capitan

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Nov 9 07:14:17 PST 2015

I've been using this [1] procedure for quite a while.

It could easily be adapted for widespread use by hosting the binaries
and signatures somewhere publicly.

And I'm not sure of the specifics, but I know there are build scripts
in the repo somewhere for building all ports. A previous message [2]
indicates they're here [3], But it looks like trac is still having
issues.

The real issue is trust. You have to trust the builder not to insert
malware and the hoster to have secured the server against file
manipulation. So I can see this easily being adapted for small groups,
but I'd personally suffer through building everything myself over
trusting an anonymous 3rd party.

Apple has been very generous in their hosting and support previously,
but I'd still love to see build slaves and hosting that wasn't reliant
on them to manage. MacPorts can't possibly be a priority for their
interests.

[1]: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/ShareArchives2
[2]: https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2015-August/031253.html
[3]: https://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/buildbot