openssl vs. libressl

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 13:10:40 PST 2015

On Monday November 09 2015 15:05:26 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> In r139229 Jeremy made libressl a drop-in replacement for openssl. If a rebuild is needed to make things work, then this

Yes, but at least on Linux libressl installs libraries with different numbers (libssl.so.35 vs libssl.so.1.0.0). I haven't yet checked on OS X, but if this is the case there too then Jeremy's modification (using path: style dependencies) is not enough.

> What happens if you install a port like curl for example that depends on openssl, and then force-deactivate openssl and install libressl instead? Does curl still work for accessing secure sites or do you get an error?

I haven't tried that yet, I'll see if I have time for it tomorrow. Don't hesitate to beat me to it, though :)

R.