openssl vs. libressl

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 02:12:21 PST 2015

On Tuesday November 10 2015 02:17:06 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> This is the same solution we've used elsewhere in MacPorts (eg: ffmpeg-devel).
>
>That's not the same situation. If a user had been using glib2 and then later needed to switch to glib2-devel for some reason, everything should still

Indeed. Still, the mod Jeremy introduced is the best/only way I know to allow choice that doesn't involve introducing an SSL PortGroup that provides +openssl and +libressl variants.

>I don't know how carefully the ffmpeg developers version their software.

Neither do I, but they do seem to care little (less) about maintaining backwards ABI compatibility like Qt does ... ;)

>> You'd need to revupgrade rebuild after switching.
>
>That's not especially desired.

No, but if the ABIs are indeed not compatible there is no other solution, is there?

R.