latex-* fails to build: poppler build error

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sun Nov 29 17:09:45 PST 2015

On 11/29/15 1:43 PM, Thomas Ruedas wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just installed Macports 2.3.4 from scratch on a new computer that runs OS X 10.10.5 and has Xcode 7.1.1 and am
> now recompiling packages, among them latex-extra. In the process, poppler fails to configure/build with the errors shown
> below (I begin quoting from where it seems to go wrong). I didn't find a ticket for it, although it strikes me that a
> fatal error in such a common package would not be reported already.
> Any ideas?
> Thomas
>

> > :info:configure config.status: creating Makefile
> :info:configure dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
> :info:configure   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gawk
> :info:configure   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
> :info:configure         /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
> :info:configure ./config.status: line 1453: 71423 Done   eval sed \"\$ac_sed_extra\" "$ac_file_inputs"
> :info:configure      71424 Trace/BPT trap: 5       | $AWK -f "$ac_tmp/subs.awk" > $ac_tmp/out

The problem is not with poppler per se but with gawk which is being used in the configure script. It's complaining that
library /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib, provided by gettext is not built for the right architecture.

This seems to be an installation problem on your machine. Are you really building all ports from scratch?

In any case, you might try reinstalling gettext and then gawk and see if that helps. Both are available as binary
archives and should just download and install.

sudo port -n upgrade --force gettext gawk
sudo port clean poppler
sudo port install poppler