latex/texlive port: broken latex?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Nov 30 08:18:15 PST 2015

On 30 November 2015 at 16:42, Thomas Ruedas wrote:
> Am 30.11.15 um 16:29 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>>
>> But this cannot be solved easily on a MacPorts level except in the
>> same way as MikTeX does it on Windows (ie. it install files on the fly
>> based on whatever files the user is trying to access) with quite some
>> coding. The only safe way is to install the complete texlive suite.
>
> I see; I had expected such fonts to come with latex-extra and its
> dependencies already, but now I remember that this is only a subset of
> texlive. It's been some time since the last update...

The problem is that there are literally thousands of packages in TeX
Live and unless MacPorts would make thousand MacPorts packages out of
TL packages, it's nearly impossible to get all the common dependencies
resolved in any clever way.

In this particular case it might be possible to ask the TeX Live core
team to think whether the package in question (I'm talking about
ecrm1200, not about fonts-recommended) could be included in one of the
"core" collections and this would later be reflected in MacPorts and
possibly installed automatically, but again: which collection would
that be? This collection is already "recommended". Feel free to raise
the question on the TeX Live mailing list if you want. (If you do so,
remove all unnecessary definitions like \usepackage{mydefs} and all
other packages that are not relevant to trigger the problem.)

Mojca