Darwin Version

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 06:40:57 PDT 2015

> On 2 Oct 2015, at 2:33 p.m., Bachsau <web at bachsau.name> wrote:
>

>> Am 02.10.2015 um 15:24 schrieb Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>:
>>
>> If you don't like it, don't use OS X, because Apple is not going to change. It will break stuff as it sees fit. This is the price of living in Apple's world.
>

> Maybe. Seems like I'm just not getting what is technically causing these problems. When libraries change, and it breaks a particular application, why can't I recompile just that? And why would the build of a newly installed port fail, just because there are other ports installed that were compiled against older system libraries?

Oh sure, there may well be some ports, or combination of ports that could carry on working just fine. Its just the 'clean slate' approach as per the migration instructions are the only way to make sure all the potential issues are removed.

Frankly i do not see what the issue is with following the migration guide. Even on my old late 2008 MBPro it only took a few hours or so to do the complete rebuild.

Chris