about MacPorts principles, conventions (and dogmata :)) re: install layouts and Qt

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 03:20:53 PDT 2015

Hi,

I've begun to wonder about any guidelines, principles, conventions etc. concerning where ports are supposed to install their various components.
I've been meaning to ask about this; it's probably more of a macports-dev question, but one that I think will get more attention here. My apologies to anyone who cannot be bothered ...

There's of course the ${prefix} which basically replaces the root (/). But under that ${prefix}, what's supposed to happen?

Looking at the port list, it's evident that a very large part (if not majority) of ports come from more traditional Unix platforms and are conceived to operate on systems where Freedesktop/XDG conventions apply.