about MacPorts principles, conventions (and dogmata :)) re: install layouts and Qt

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Oct 6 09:09:40 PDT 2015

While I don't need to do it myself, I've long thought it might be useful to have the location of etc and var separately configurable.  Imagine a bunch of systems that were very similar, but might need individual tweaks; there could be one test system, and another acting as an AFP, CIFS, or NFS server, and sharing with the rest everything EXCEPT etc and var, which should be per-system.  Builds would only take place on the (isolated) test system and then packaged up for binary installs on the server system.  To the clients, the non per-system directories should be able to be read-only.

The closest one could get now AFAIK is having one's own dedicated build host.  That would still mean some work installing individually on systems, and the larger storage requirement for each.

No two of mine are presently on the same OS version, and one is a laptop, so I can't do that.  But a site with a number of desktops in more or less production use could benefit from such an arrangement.

On similar premise, Applications and Library should perhaps also  be configurable, presumably to be mounted by clients on /Network/Applications or /Network/Library.  On that topic, I see Apple added to the search for at least Applications,
in either Yosemite or El Capitan (didn't run my program back when I had Yosemite, so I don't know about that) - the /AppleInternal search is new:

12:00:49[640]lapple:/Users/rlhamil> objpath -h
objpath: illegal option -- h
usage: objpath [-t type] [-D domain]
default type is AllApplications
default domain is all
Multiple -D options are cumulative.
Only the last -t option applies.

types:
Application
DemoApplication
DeveloperApplication
AdminApplication
Library
Developer
User
Documentation
Document
CoreService
AutosavedInformation
Desktop
Caches
ApplicationSupport
Downloads
InputMethods
Movies
Music
Pictures
PrinterDescription
SharedPublic
PreferencePanes
AllApplications
AllLibraries

domains:
all
user
local
network
system
12:00:53[641]lapple:/Users/rlhamil> objpath
~/Applications
~/Applications/Utilities
~/Developer/Applications
~/Applications/Demos