port not installed according to registry, yet depends_lib didn't "react"?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 10:04:18 PDT 2015

> On Oct 8, 2015, at 11:36 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday October 08 2015 12:03:32 Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I *really* that my update to 2.3.4 yesterday (from source) didn't cause
>>> ports to be dropped from the registry!
>
> I meant the registry of installed ports, the much more complex one to restore.

I know I've encountered situations where a port failed to build because one of its dependencies was inactive. I'm sure I had forcibly deactivated it at some prior time for some forgotten reason. I don't know why MacPorts wouldn't have reactivated it, but it didn't. Maybe that kind of thing is what happened to you. The solution is to reactivate the port.

>> An update to a python module port broke portindex. I believe they're
>> working on getting it fixed.
>
> Ouch, that's what you get from depending on "internal" software and not on something stable provided by the host :)
> I sure hope they're working to fix what they broke!

I have no idea what you're referring to here.

> Portindex is for indexing the available ports in a ports tree;

yes

> is it also used to maintain the (sqlite) reqistry of what ports are actually installed?

it doesn't seem likely

> Fixing a broken portindex through a port update will be tricky, if the breakage is serious enough, btw.

I again have no idea what you're talking about.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/49180