about fragmentation (of free disk space)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:06:06 PDT 2015

On Saturday October 10 2015 14:45:43 Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> random access time for a SSD is 1-3 orders of magnitude less than for a rotational drive.
>
> As with anything, you need to measure ‘real world use’ to be certain, but it’s probably not an issue for SSDs at all.

I'm not expecting it to be in real world usage, of course. OTOH, frequent defragmenting is probably not a good idea on SSDs.

> Which API lets you know if you have a contiguous file or not / how do you ‘require’ a contiguous file on disk?

Not sure, but I seem to recall it is possible. That said, I may just have observed that in ... defragmentation utilities (which tend not to work on files they cannot move to a contiguous bit of disk space).

> maybe something like hfsdbug could help you determine if it’s something to worry about or not?

Possible, and I could also renew contact with iDefrag's author. Thought I'd ask here before spending a lot of time on it :)

R.