rdiff-backup not saving metadata, Finder Information, Extended Attributes

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Oct 10 18:49:26 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-10 21:20, stevenospam at gmail.com wrote:
> $ rdiff-backup -v4 1 2
> Using rdiff-backup version 1.2.8
> Unable to import module xattr.
> Extended attributes not supported on filesystem at 1

$ python2.7 -c 'import xattr'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xattr/__init__.py",
line 12, in <module>
    from .lib import (XATTR_NOFOLLOW, XATTR_CREATE, XATTR_REPLACE,
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xattr/lib.py",
line 4, in <module>
    import cffi
ImportError: No module named cffi

I fixed the missing dependency in r141108. Wait for the updated port or
just install the port manually:

$ sudo port install --unrequested py27-cffi

> Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl package.
> POSIX ACLs not supported on filesystem at 1

We do not have a port for pylibacl. However, OS X does not even use
POSIX ACLs, so I do not know how useful it would be...

> Unable to import win32security module. Windows ACLs
> not supported by filesystem at 1
> escape_dos_devices not required by filesystem at 1

I guess we can ignore those.

> Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
>   Access control lists                         Off
>   Extended attributes                          Off
>   Windows access control lists                 Off
>   Case sensitivity                             Off
>   Escape DOS devices                           Off
>   Escape trailing spaces                       Off
>   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
>   Mac OS X Finder information                  Off

For the Finder information, rdiff-backup tries to use
Carbon.File.FSSpec, which is no longer supported:

$ python2.7 -c 'import Carbon.File; import MacOS; print
Carbon.File.FSSpec(".");'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FSSpec'

These problems should rather be discussed and addressed by rdiff-backup
developers. They are not caused by the packaging, but exist in the
upstream version.

Hope that helps,
Rainer