about fragmentation (of free disk space)

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Oct 11 19:03:43 PDT 2015

On Oct 11, 2015, at 06:59 , Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>
>> Also, OS X in recent incarnations does a pretty good job of detecting
>> when you are streaming a file and doing a lot of prefetching.
>
> Unix[tm] has been doing that for years (ISTR that it was even in Edition
> 5); has Apple only just caught up?

The disk/paging/FS code is far beyond what Edition 5 (or System 5) was doing.  For sure, they did try to stream back then, but the code is much more sophisticated these days (and I expect that OS X is not alone, although I don't follow what's up on the Linux side).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------