rtorrent/libtorrent compile fail

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 14 12:52:24 PDT 2015

On Oct 14, 2015, at 2:29 AM, Felipe Mannshardt Oliveira wrote:

> can some one please help me out?
>
> First, why is the macports rtorrent version so old?
>
>> Felipes-MacBook-Pro:~ fmo$ port search rtorrent
>> rtorrent @0.9.2_1 (net)
>>    console-based BitTorrent client
>>
>> rtorrent-devel @0.9.3_1 (net)
>>    console-based BitTorrent client (unstable release)
>>
>> Found 2 ports.
>

> Ain’t rtorrent at version 0.9.6?

If that's so, please file a ticket in the issue tracker requesting the port be updated.

I'm not able to access the project's homepage so I don't know if their server is down or if they've moved or what.

> Anyway, back to my problem:
>
> I am trying to install rtorrent and i get the following error:
>
>> Felipes-MacBook-Pro:~ fmo$ sudo port install rtorrent
>> --->  Computing dependencies for rtorrent
>> --->  Dependencies to be installed: libtorrent
>> --->  Fetching archive for libtorrent
>> --->  Attempting to fetch libtorrent-0.13.2_0.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2 from http://nue.de.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libtorrent
>> --->  Attempting to fetch libtorrent-0.13.2_0.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2 from http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/libtorrent
>> --->  Attempting to fetch libtorrent-0.13.2_0.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libtorrent
>> --->  Fetching distfiles for libtorrent
>> --->  Verifying checksums for libtorrent
>> --->  Extracting libtorrent
>> --->  Configuring libtorrent
>> --->  Building libtorrent
>> Error: org.macports.build for port libtorrent returned: command execution failed
>> Error: Failed to install libtorrent
>> Please see the log file for port libtorrent for details:
>>    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_net_libtorrent/libtorrent/main.log
>> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: libtorrent
>> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>>    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>> Error: Processing of port rtorrent failed
>> Felipes-MacBook-Pro:~ fmo$
>

> Checking the log file, the problem seems to start here (fatal error: 'tr1/functional' file not found):

That (files under tr1/ not found) is the typical error you will see in software designed for the pre-standard version of C++11, when trying to compile on OS X 10.9 or later (or earlier OS X, if reconfigured to use libc++). The software needs to be updated for compatibility with the final C++11 standard. It's possible this was already done in a later version of rtorrent, whose existence you mentioned above. You  should probably file this build error as a separate ticket.