openssl - could not find the C header files

Frank Röhm francwalter at gmx.net
Sat Oct 17 16:00:04 PDT 2015

> Am 17.10.2015 um 20:44 schrieb Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>:
>
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Frank Röhm <francwalter at gmx.net> wrote:
> checking for openssl directory... configure: WARNING: We found the libraries for openssl, but we could not find the C header files.  You may need to install a devel package.
> configure: error: Missing headers; unable to proceed.
>
> You probably got the system OpenSSL the last time you built it. 10.11 doesn't have OpenSSL any more (I think it has LibreSSL? which is not 100% compatible, apparently).

Oh, yes, that could be, thank you for the hint!.

Yes there still seems to be openssl in 10.11, but old version, OpenSSL 0.9.8zg 14 July 2015 find I in /usr/bin/openssl
I renamed it to …OLD and linked the macports openssl to this path.

MacBook:tor-0.2.7.3-rc f$ ls -al /usr/bin/openssl
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 22 18. Okt 00:24 /usr/bin/openssl -> /opt/local/bin/openssl*

MacBook:tor-0.2.7.3-rc f$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.2d 9 Jul 2015

> To use the MacPorts version, you likely need "./configure --with-openssl=/opt/local" or similar.
>
> Of course, there's also the MacPorts port of tor, and a port of the Vidalia GUI.
>
>     sudo port install vidalia        # will install tor as a dependency

Ah? Good to know!  Thanks. If I cannot solve my problem, I will do this.

But at the moment I switched the openssl problems with maybe much more difficult problems, install-sh is missing:

MacBook:tor-0.2.7.3-rc root# ./configure --with-openssl=/opt/local
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-openssl
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "." "./.." "./../..”

I don’t know how that happened. I have autoconf, autoconf, gettext and libtool installed, but that seems to be mixed up with the Systems versions.
I will come back here to this initial openssl problem, when I solved these install-sh problems.

Thank you firstly.

frank