Modification of .profile

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Oct 19 00:09:04 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-15 23:22, Bachsau wrote:
> May I suggest to add an option for the PKG installer to disable
> automativ modification of user's ~/.profile file? On my system I
> modified my /etc/paths file to include MacPorts ater my own
> /usr/local. When I installed a new version by using the PKG today, I
> found my .profile and PATH modified without request.

The postflight script should only modify your shell configuration files
if your PATH does not yet contain a reference to /opt/local [1]. If it
was set up in /etc/paths, this should have prevented additional
modifications.

I don't know if package installers support custom options or optional
components. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

Rainer

[1]
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight.in#L239